Friday, October 10, 2008

Sweet Dreams

So... Here's the thing... I was playing my Alliance paladin the other day and he got a lockbox as a drop. Normally, that's not a problem, but this one required 325 lockpicking to open. So I had a choice. I could either start spamming trade chat with "LF rogue with at least 325 lockpicking. Will tip!!" or open it myself. I'd hate to pay some rogue to give me access to something "of the whale" so I opted for opening it myself.

Just one small problem: My rogue was only level 51 and to get 325 lockpicking, you have to be at least level 65... But it's the pre-exansion doldrums so I figured "What the hell?". So I started plowing through the levels. With a 1.5 level rested bonus, decreased level sizes and increased quest XP (and work and sleep), I didn't hit the end of my rested bonus until well into level 60. Somewhere along the line, I picked up the daily battleground quest for AV.

So I tried that a few times at level 59 and 60. It turns out that the Alliance is as bad at level 51-60 AV as they are good at 61-70. Most of it is a lack of participation. So I sat on the quest... And as soon as I got to 61, I was at the battlemaster in Shattrath and joining the queue.

Alterac Valley at level 61 isn't all that much fun - even as a rogue. You're not fooling anyone. They see you coming a mile away even when you're stealthed. Unless...

They're distracted by something else. So after one of my frequent deaths (if I can get off a cheap shot, before I'm killed, it was a good run), I rezzed back at the Stormpike Aid Station. Deadly Boss Mods indicated that the South Bunker would cap in about 2 minutes. So I went there and stealthed. Tabbing around, I targeted a level 70 rogue at 37% health. He was targeting a level 70 warrior so I walked to the upper level and looked for him. I got him with a Cheap Shot and then a backstab. He died shortly thereafter (I assume the warrior caught up to him) and we re-took the bunker.

Afterward, the warrior said (something along the lines of): "rogues are such bullshit." and then "no offence" (yes... with a c). I whispered back: "None taken. I hate rogues. I only play mine ironically". It turns out that the rogue had been sapping, stunning, sapping, gouging, blinging, sapping and otherwise stunning the warrior for almost the entire time the south bunker had been "contested".

My point? None really. But last night I had a dream (it's rare that I have WoW dreams. That's why this stuck out) that I came across a rogue who was obviously AFK and thought he was safe because he was stealthed and I ganked him. It was a happy, joyful dream. One I hope to realize (again) some day.

No comments: