Sunday, May 18, 2008

Whoops!!!

Since my guild has been somewhat apathetic about doing Karazhan lately... And because a well geared tank can _always_ find a group for something... I jumped in LFG yesterday. It wasn't long before a paladin who seems to have lost his shift key and some verbs - not to mention the words that lost a few letters - wanted me to join his two man group (actually, he sent the invite before asking - a major faux pas in my world) for Kara. For whatever reason, I felt kind of iffy about him so I held out.

A few minutes later (while the paladin with bad spelling, english and manners was still sending me tells every couple of minutes) a shaman asked me to join his group starting at Curator. A chance to skip the 4 bosses I've done too many times. To skip the skeletal ushers before Opera and a chance to skip Moroes... Now we're talking. It turns out it was mostly a guild run for Solstice - a name I've seen around a few times. It took a while to get things going because they didn't have healers.

I was supposed to be main tanking but since I can throw out more DPS in cat gear, I convniced them to have the other tank grab Curator. That was fun because I never get to just do damage in cat form. I tanked for the rest of the run though... Well... Except for Shade when I did some DPS and threw some heals during a flame wreath.

We had a little trouble during Netherspite because some DPS ran through the red beam during the first portal phase and moved him away from the center of the room so while I was dancing in and out of the beam it moved Netherspite around so the green beam moved and healed him. Even still... We got him down to 10% before he enraged.

But the Whoops moment(s) for me came during Prince. I'd been tinkering with a macro that cancels my current form, pops a charged crystal focus to restore 2k health and then casts bear form. As long as you're not in a global cooldown, you're fine... Usually. I hadn't had a reason/chance to use it yet however but I was still thinking about it.

I was tanking Prince back up against a wall so I couldn't see anything. I could see his feet and that's about it. We got to the second phase where he just STOMPS on the tank and I was getting low on health... Scary low... To the point where I didn't think I could wait for the GCD before I hit my macro. And I hit it... It restored 2k health which gave the healer a chance to throw a couple of heals on me.

But I was still in the GCD when I hit it, so I didn't go back into bear form. I knew there was a possibility that this would happen so I started checking my buffs and... CRAP!!! No bear form buff. I hit my "Shape of... A bear" button but I tanked Prince during phase two for about 4 seconds in caster form just swinging a big hammer at him.

This was not lost on the healers... One of whom called out "Bear Form" over Vent at about the same time I was hitting the button. The worst part is... The absolute worst part is... I got in trouble a little later and tried to hit one of my panic buttons and misclicked... I ended up popping a mana potion... Which took me back to caster form.

WHOOPS!!!!

Fortunately the healers were on top of it and I was a little quicker on the trigger this time so we were still able to down him. The second time I've ever tanked Prince and I nubbed it up. Nice.

No comments: